The National Weather Service continues to monitor what is now Tropical Storm Kammuri as it approaches the Marianas.
As of 7 p.m., Tropical Storm Kammuri was located about 11.2 degrees north latitude and 146.5 degrees east longitude, about 275 miles south of Saipan and 195 miles southeast of Guam. Tropical Storm Kammuri is moving west-northwest at 23 mph with maximum sustained winds of 40 mph.
Damaging winds of 39 mph or more are expected this evening through Wednesday morning, with the closest point of approach expected between 3 a.m. to 7 a.m., although this can change with any updates to the storm’s movement. At this time, destructive winds of 58 mph or more and typhoon force winds of 75 mph or more are not expected for Guam.
The maximum sustained winds predicted for Guam are 50 mph with higher gusts felt mostly in the southern Marianas. Rainfall amounts of 4 to 5 inches are expected through Wednesday.
Guam remains in Condition of Readiness (COR) 2. At COR 2, the community is reminded to stay indoors and remain off the roadways, allowing access for emergency response personnel.
A flash flood watch is in effect for Guam, Rota, Tinian, and Saipan until Thursday morning. A flash flood warning may be issued later tonight. Flash flooding strikes quickly. Do not wait for heavy rainfall to begin clearing drainage areas of debris. Follow these flood safety tips:
- Turn around, don’t down when entering flooded roads. Seek alternate routes if you encounter a flooded roadway.
- Avoid walking or driving through flood waters.
- Just 6 inches of moving water can knock you down, and 2 feet of water can sweep your vehicle away.
- If there is a chance of flash flooding, move immediately to higher ground.
- If floodwaters rise around your car but the water is not moving, abandon the car and move to higher ground. Do not leave the car and enter moving water.
- Avoid camping, parking, or hiking along streams, rivers, and creeks during heavy rainfall. These areas can flood quickly and with little warning.
Os textos, informações e opiniões publicados neste espaço são de total responsabilidade do(a) autor(a). Logo, não correspondem, necessariamente, ao ponto de vista do Central da Pauta.